Saturday, August 13, 2011

And then I started thinking...

Last night, some of you might have watched the Perseid meteor shower. I set out with great intentions, I even set my alarm clock for 2:30 a.m. so that I could go outside and watch the skies. When my brother woke me up at 2, I'm not sure what he was exactly telling me because I was still half asleep, I'm guessing he said something along the lines of, "I've been outside and haven't seen any." So I tried to go back to sleep.
Somewhere during the time that I was still working on going back to sleep, I started thinking.

WARNING! The rest of the post is very nerdy and it gets even worse towards the end. If you don't want to read it, Watch the video! It's cooler anyway :)
Most of you know by now that when I start thinking, I really start thinking. Usually it's pretty easy to tell when I'm lost in thought. My symptoms include: A blank stare into nothing, biting the inside of my cheek, a glazed over look in my eyes and my eyebrows are usually pulled together in concentration.
So as I laid there, just thinking, I started feeling pretty insignificant.
For those of you that don't know, the Perseid meteor shower is actually made up of dust and other particles. That's right, dust. Sure, we aren't talking about the sort of dust most of us are familiar with, we're talking about bits of comet that was left behind in the path of Earth's orbit, but you get the idea.
The Earth to us is huge. The Earth compared to the entire universe...is even smaller than a fleck of dust.


To sort of put this into perspective, If this web page represents the sun, the period at the end of this sentence represents the Earth. 


I had to make that last sentence smaller to be true to the website where I found the information. :)


Think about it! This page is suppose to be the sun. That period up there is suppose to be the Earth. 

Compared to just our galaxy alone, the sun is an ant!

Compared to our entire universe which no one knows the size of because it never stops growing, the sun is 

microscopic. And the sun is a MILLION times bigger than the Earth!   

Here is a video to make you feel even smaller. 


I can't even wrap my mind around how tiny we are! 







Well, that was the first ever Nerd Day post! For future reference, any day is nerd day in my book. I'm going to dedicate a page to all of this scientific stuff and just cool stuff in general that I find fascinating :) 


Thanks for reading! 

Where I got some of my information :) 

 

5 comments :

  1. Maybe if everyone on Earth clumped together we could equal an amoeba inside the Sun's left nostril.

    I shouldn't be allowed to think while eating a sandwich, I'm sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good. I'm glad I'm not just entertaining myself over here xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was interesting. I've always been interested in the galaxies and how small we are compared to the universe. It's a weird concept. I also find it weird how the bigger things are, no matter how loud they are, we can't hear them because of different frequencies.. Have you tried to listen to the sounds that the planets make? pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me 2! I'm a major science nerd at heart, haha. I watch Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman for fun :)

    ReplyDelete